Saturday, June 6, 2020

waqt ki har shay ghulam

*Waqt ki har Sheh Ghulam*, 
*वक़्त की हर शह गुलाम*: *कुछ हकीकत कुछ अफ़साना : Short Story by Kapil Jain.*

With the intention to purchase a leisure chair, we (My wife Kamini & I ) went to Kirti nagar furniture market on our way back from a party. 

Unauthorised car parking is always an issue in such markets, however I was able to find an empty slot & tried to park & leave before any one could object. 

As I left the car I was awestruck by the shop's name, ” वक़्त की हर शह ग़ुलाम ” and the owner's name, “OMPRAKASH BAGGA“, written above it. (See attached photograph). 

For a moment, my mind and body were moved by this unique caption & after recomposing myself I took a photograph of the signboard. After two or three shots I saw the shopkeeper silently watching us.

Our eyes met & I waved a salute to the shopkeeper. I walked towards him as if a force was pulling me, the distance between us, merely fifteen twenty meters. 

He uttered the first words to us "Would you like to have tea?". I saw that he was holding a cup of tea & to my surprise to myself, I said "Yes" (it was the first ever sight, first ever word exchange). 

He asked an employee to arrange tea for us. As I had already read on the board, "OMPRAKASH BAGGA", I assumed that he is Mr. BAGGA. 

I asked my awestruck query straight away "Bagga Sahib, वक़्त की हर शह गुलाम , on shop's signboard?, I found it to be very strange".

He said nothing but his eyes spoke clearly, The Eyes said that he wanted to be reminded of this gospel truth on a daily basis. 

He served tea very affectionately & the next five minutes were spent in deafening silence though everyone around us including salesman, servants & mangers were going about their jobs in full hustle & bustle. It was certainty a cash-rich shop & the owner Mr. Bagga was sitting still, watching us sip tea & we were sipping tea in his mystical surrounding. 

Very courageously I asked him again about the signboard & after taking a deep breath he replied this.. 

जाने क्या ढूँढती रहती है ये आँखे मुझमें 
राख के ढेर में शोला है ना चिंगारी है

I got goosebumps when I heard his reply & didn't have any courage to ask further. 

Leisure Chair is still a dream. 
____________________________

सोचो तो सिलवटों से भरी है तमाम रूह 
देखो तो इक शिकन भी नहीं है लिबास में
                            .... शकेब जलाली

Think if, about complete soul which is in creases all over, Though apparently looks as neatly & sharply dressed. 
____________________________

Photograph by Kapil with Kamini 
Kirti Nagar Delhi, Dec 2012

Story by Kapil Jain with Kamini Jain 
Noida, Jun 6th, 2020
All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment